Tuesday 21 October 2014

21 - Halloween Mini Book

Good morning one and all, I was asked by the lovely ladies here on The Weird Scissors if I fancied doing a blog post for them during the month of October with a Halloween theme.  I was absolutely over the moon to be asked, so it was thinking caps on and what could I do.  Now in the past I've been known to make altered art, art journalling and mixed media, but the year of 2014 has been pretty much wall to wall scrapbooking with the odd mini book thrown in for good measure.   So I thought a Halloween inspired mini book - ready for Halloween festivities.

Now, earlier on in the year I was asked by the lovely Jen over on Wear Crafts to 'design' a mini book for National Scrapbook day.  So this particular mini book is based on that.  It is my own design and  if you fancy having a go yourself there is a downloadable PDF from a post I did on my own blog earlier in the year with lots of photos of step by steps so you can create your own.  If you fancy having a go - then click here for the post with the PDF instructions - I promise you it's really easy and doesn't use mammoth amounts of items.


This is the mini book from the top, I changed the original instructions slightly as I was being extra frugal with these gorgeous pages.  If you want to know more about these papers then I'll mention them later on!  I inked the edge of the book using a black soot distress ink and cut the paper to size rather than wrapping it around the front and back of the book as it were.


Inside I had lots of fun decorating the pages.  The book is a blend of pages and pockets!


Up close you can see how I've used some of the fabulous 'elements' of these gorgeous gorgeous papers!



Even down to tiny details


The next few photos are samples of the pages and pocket contents, I used versamark and a couple of Halloween stamps on black cardstock for the pocket inserts which are just offcuts of the card from the mini book with rounded corners. 








On some of the pages I used other elements to make the book more cohesive, on this page the letters 'een' (from the word 'Halloween') appeared on the left hand side and I covered this with the words Full Moon which I matted on black cardstock.


I added some little cut out 'monsters' and words


I have to say the full sheet of these ghostly characters were cute, but they got cuter (if that was possible), when I started cutting them out.


Adding the odd word


Leaving some as just the papers



So if you like what you see, have a go, if you have already got some unused Halloween papers 'lurking' that you've been meaning to 'use up' then grab them now, download the PDF and get making, the book is 4 sheets of 12 x 12 cardstock, 6 sheets of double sided papers, an offcut of card for the spine and a little bit of grey board.

If you want to get your hands on these specific papers, I'm reliably informed by Jen that she actually has some left (which amazes me as they are so cute, they are also double sided, so don't forget to double click to see the other side as it were and at 50p per sheet a bargain to boot!) - check out the link here

Now just to show you the final bit of 'versatility' of these papers - I had some scraps left and managed to create myself this 12 x 12 page using a sheet of white card stock, some existing masks and stamps I'd got, strips of the paper and that little cute ghostly figure!


Thank you ever so much for popping by today and thank you to the lovely Weird Scissor girls for inviting me along, catch you later

Virginia

4 comments: